Delaware Health Insurance
In Delaware, the amount of residents that lack health insurance coverage has been increasing over the past couple of years. In 2008, Almost 12 percent of Delaware residents did not have any type of Health Insurance coverage. Although this number might seem small, these people would be in serious trouble in case of an eventuality, as they would have to be responsible of their health expenses.
Delaware has been working hard as a state to offer to its residents the best alternatives possible, by making new policies and options available to residents. About 6 of every 10 employers offer some sort of Health Benefits plan, and over 80% of the employees use this advantage to their favor.
Access to Health Care within the state is high, and if needed, over ninety percent of residents could get medical assistance. This, combined with an extremely low geographical disparity, ensures that Health Care in Delaware is accessible. Federally Qualified Health Centers are also available within the state.
In these times, it’s vital that you as a consumer understand what your insurance coverage implies. Within the state, the Delaware Department of Insurance is the institution responsible for regulating Health Insurance Plans and policies. If you are searching for Health Insurance, always check that the agent or company you are interested in has a valid license.
Health Ranking: #35
State Health Department Web Site: http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/
With the decrease of the percentage of residents with Health Insurance coverage, the overall Health Rankings of this state have fallen slightly over the past few years. In 2008, the United Health Foundation ranked Delaware as the 35th state in the nation when it comes to health. Being below the national average, it is obvious that there are some obstacles to work on to ensure that health in Delaware’s residents improves.
This state needs to work on their preventive health measures as well as they need to work on their Health Care assistance. It’s not that it’s extremely difficult to get (or retain, for that matter) Health Insurance in Delaware, but it’s more of a matter of getting good Health Insurance plans, and good health care.
One of Delaware’s biggest challenges is to decrease risks and factors that could lead to its Health System to become innefective. Preventive health measures and efficient Health Care need to be reinforced in this state so its Health status can improve.
- The percentage of complete immunization coverage for infants and toddleers within the state, and the low incidence of poverty among their children is a great plus for Delaware, as it means healthier and happier kids.
- One of the state’s biggest achievements over the past five years is the decrease in the incidence of smokers within the state. In 2008 it reached a record percentage of 19%, the lowest it has been in a while.
- Other highlights are having the lowest percentage of Geographic Disparity (sharing the #1 lowest disparity with Connecticut), which makes it easier to offer Accessible health care to its citizens.
- Delaware has good government health funding, ($90 per capita), and a good number of primary case physicians available.
- Delaware is one of the most violent states in the country. This is one of the biggest challenges to the overall health of its citizens. A related wekness is the a high incidence of drinkers within the state. Again, Delaware is one of th states with the highest percentage of binge drinking in the US. Almost 30% of the residents of Delaware are binge drinkers.
- Infant Mortality is a very serious issue that needs to be controlled as soon as possible. With almost 10 deaths for every 1,000 births the percentage is one of the highest in the country.
- Other preventable health issues that need to be worked on are the incidence of infectious disease, obesity, and the incidence of cancer-related deaths.
- Delaware has an elevated percentage premature deaths within the US, with 7886 years lost per 100,000 residents in the state.
Delaware Health Insurance Quotes
In order to save on health insurance in Delaware and find the best match for your personal coverage needs, you need more information than any one health insurance company can provide. You need to be able to review quotes from a broad range of Delaware health insurance companies and see how their plan rates and benefits stack up. That is why we enable you to choose from a broad range of insurance companies and health insurance plans available in Delaware.
Delaware Health Insurance News
Health Insurance is always a hot topic for discussion, since it involves the citizens of Delaware and their welfare. Here are some of the latest news and updates on the current issues and news related to Health and Health Insurance for Delaware:
Delaware Office of Insurance Regulation and Department of Health
Find the contact information for the Delaware health insurance and health and social services departments at:
Delaware Health and Social Services
1901 N. DuPont Highway
New Castle DE 19720
Phone: (302) 255-9040
Delaware Department of Insurance
841 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
Phone: (302) 674-7300