Louisiana Health Insurance
The percentage lf Louisiana residents that do not have any sort of Health Insurance Coverage is alarmingly high, the third highest percentage in the country. Over 20% of the residents of Louisiana are unprotected when it comes to their health, and in case of an emergency, would be the biggest losers, since not only access to Health Care is difficult in this state, but also quality of health is not as high as in other states of the country.
Eight out of ten residents in Louisiana has Health Insurance Coverage of some sort. A good percentage of this number gets covered thanks to the Health Benefits their employers offer. In this state, only 52% of employers offer. Health Insurance Plan coverage to employees, a benefit that 73% of employees take. A promising statistic is that Louisiana is actually working hard towards increasing the percentage of employers within the state that offer Health Insurance. This could mean that more and more workers in the state could get access Health Coverage, lowering the percentage of residents unprotected.
Despite being in a tough spot, Louisiana has a great potential to improve the situation. The state offers one of the best rates of primary care physicians available (almost 12 for every 1,000 residents), but in order to do so, they need to reach to the people that need help the most first. Only about 83% of Louisianans could get medical care when needed, and Federally Qualified Health Centers, although available, do not help as much people as they could. They only serve about 8 percent of the population living under the 200% FPL.
Health Ranking: #50
State Health Department Web Site: http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/
Louisiana has de dubious honor of being the least healthy state in the county, as it has been ranked by America’s Health Rankings as the 50th healthiest state (or the #1 least healthy state) in the country. What does this mean? It basically means that, when compared to the rest of the country, Health challenges are harder and overall healthiness of people is lower. Health Care in the state needs to be reformed and regrouped so it becomes better, more accessible and adequate for its residents.
t’s obvious that there are real issues and causes that do not let Health in Louisiana develop and improve. This state has many issues that drag their health, but that doesn’t mean that it cannot be done. With so many things in dire need of improvement, Louisiana and its residents will have a hard a long road to travel.
If public health funding continues to rise, and the percentage of residents that lack health insurance gets controlled, as well as the effectiveness of the Health System in Louisiana, we could be telling a different story in a near future.
- Despite having a lot of issues, Louisiana country with an increasing and above average rate of primary care physicians. This element could be the key to offering more accessible Health Care to residents.
- Public funding in Louisiana is also improving within the past year, and they are now in the top 15 states with most public health funding per capita in the US. This money needs to be used more accordingly so Health Care in Louisiana reaches more people.
- Louisiana is one of the poorest states in the nation, with almost 23% of children living in poverty. This affects directly the number of the population that lacks Health Insurance within the state. In Louisiana, this number is extremely high, slightly above twenty percent.
- The Violent Crime rate is the third highest in the country, and it’s at the highest point in 20 years, with 73 offenses for every 10,000 residents.
- Louisiana has the third highest rate of unnecessary and preventable hospitalizations (112 per 1,000 enrollees), making Health Care not only inaccessible, but also inefficient.
- Many of this state’s problems when it comes to health are important social issues that prevent the development of Louisiana. It causes the premature death rate to be the seconds highest in the country, with 11,125 years lost for every 100,000 residents.
- The incidence of Cardiovascular-related deaths and Cancer-related deaths is also high (among the worst percentages in the country). Infant mortality is the second worst in the country, with 10.3 deaths for every 1,000 live births.
- The premature death rate is alarming as well, the second worst in the nation.
Louisiana Health Insurance Quotes
In order to save on health insurance in Louisiana and find the best match for your personal coverage needs, you need more information than any one health insurance company can provide. You need to be able to review quotes from a broad range of Louisiana health insurance companies and see how their plan rates and benefits stack up. That is why we enable you to choose from a broad range of insurance companies and health insurance plans available in Louisiana.
Louisiana Health Insurance News
As a resident of Louisiana, it’s always important to be informed of the latest events and news regarding Health Insurance in your state. Here are some of the latest headlines that mention Health Care and Health Insurance related topics for Louisiana:
Louisiana Insurance and Department of Health Information
If you have any additional questions or need special assistance, feel free to visit or contact Louisiana’s Department of Insurance and Department of Health and Hospitals directly:
Louisiana Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 94214
Baton Rouge, LA 70804
Phone: (225) 342-5900
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
628 N. 4th Street
P.O. Box 629
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-0629
Phone: (225) 342-9500