Updated December 15th, 2019
- the types of information we collect through our Services
- how we use your information
- how we protect your information
- the types of information we may share with others and under what circumstances
- the choices you have regarding our collection, use, and sharing practices
- details regarding our use of third-party cookies and other tracking technologies
We also include specific disclosures for residents of California.
This Policy applies when you interact with us through our services. It also applies anywhere it is linked. It does not apply to websites and mobile applications that may link to the Services or be linked to or from the Services; please review the privacy policies on those websites and applications directly to understand their privacy practices.
By providing your contact information to us, you are registering to receive communications from us directly, on our website or through a third party. We will periodically send you newsletters and other e-mails with offers and promotions. You may opt out of commercial e-mails from us by following the instructions in the e-mail or contacting us at the e-mail address below.
Whether you are contacted by us, a third party on our behalf or a Network Partner, you agree to be contacted through the use of emails or, subject to your express opt-in at time of providing your information, on your landline or mobile phone by live operators, automated telephone dialing systems, pre-recorded messages, and/or text messages regardless of whether you have placed your name or telephone number on a Do Not Call list. You may stop receiving calls and text messages by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that a stop request will only apply to the specific entity to whom such request is directed unless otherwise required by applicable law.
Information We Collect
Information you give us: Some of the Services may include features or services that permit you to enter contact information and other information about you. We collect and store any information you enter on our Services. This includes:
- Contact and demographic information when completing forms or registering to use our Services.
- Any information or data you provide by interacting in our online forums and chatrooms, social media sites or by commenting on content posted on our Services. Please note that these comments are also visible to other users of our Services.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and any contact information provided.
- Details of your visits to our sites and information generated in the course of the use of our Services (including the timing, frequency, and pattern of service use) including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, the resources that you access, and how you reached our site.
- Details regarding the device you use to access our Services, including, but not limited to, your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
- Information about how you interact with ads and newsletters, including whether you open or click links in any correspondence.
- Information that you make available to us on a social media platform (such as by clicking on a social media icon linked from our Services), including your account ID or username and other information included in your posts.
Please see below for more information about how our automatic collection of information works. Additional Information About Our Use of Tracking Technologies and Interest-Based Advertising
Technical Cookies: We try to give our visitors advanced, user-friendly Services and apps that adapt automatically to their needs and wishes. To achieve this we use technical cookies to show you our website, to make it function and for other purposes. These technical cookies are absolutely necessary for our Services to function properly.
Analytics Cookies: We use these cookies to gain insight into how our visitors use the Services. This means we can find out what works and what doesn’t, optimize and improve our Services or apps, understand the effectiveness of advertisements and communications, and ensure we continue to be interesting and relevant. The data we gather can include which web pages you’ve viewed, which referring/exit pages you’ve entered and left from, which platform type you’ve used, which emails you’ve opened and acted upon, and date and time stamp info.
It also means we can use details about how you interacted with the websites, like the number of clicks you make on a given page, your mouse movements and scrolling activity, the search words you use, and the text you enter into various fields. We use analytics cookies as part of our online advertising campaigns to learn how users interact with our Site or apps after they’ve been shown an online advertisement. This may include advertisements on third-party websites. Analytics cookies may also be used to enable our business partners to learn if their customers use offers integrated into their websites.
Commercial Cookies: We use third-party cookies as well as our own to display personalized advertisements on our websites and on other websites. This is called “retargeting,” and it’s based on browsing activities, such as the types of health insurance may have been searching.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to disable or reject cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your browser to decline cookies, some features of the Services may not be available, work, or work as designed. You may also be able to opt out of or block tracking by interacting directly with the other companies who conduct tracking through our Services.
You can learn more about ad serving companies and the options available to limit their collection and use of your information by visiting the websites for the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance. Similarly, you can learn about your options to opt out of mobile app tracking by certain advertising networks through your device settings and by resetting the advertiser ID on your Apple or Android device.
Please note that opting out of advertising networks services does not mean that you will not receive advertising while using our Services or on other websites, nor will it prevent the receipt of interest-based advertising from other companies that do not participate in these programs. It will, however, exclude you from interest-based advertising conducted through participating networks, as provided by their policies and choice mechanisms. If you delete your cookies, you may also delete your opt-out preferences.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our products and services, including to take steps to enter into a contract for sale or for services, process payments, fulfill orders, and send service communications.
- Communicate with you about products or services that may be of interest to you
- To enable additional features on our Services and to provide you with a personalized service.
- Create custom audiences on social media sites.
- To provide you with the best service and improve and grow our business, including by understanding our customer base and purchasing trends, understanding the effectiveness of our marketing, and tailoring advertising to you.
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal, and to comply with legal requirements regarding the provision of products and services.
How we protect your information
We use a combination of physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information we collect through the Services. While we use these precautions to safeguard your information, we cannot guarantee the security of the networks, systems, servers, devices, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
Our Sharing of Your Information
- Affiliate Companies: We may share your Information with other entities that control, are controlled by or are under common control with HealthCare.com (“HealthCare.com Affiliates”).
- Network Partners: In submitting an inquiry for a health insurance quote, product or other service provided through the Site, you agree that HealthCare.com may sell to or otherwise share your Information with insurance agents, insurance carriers, lead aggregators, other insurance service providers and other third parties in our network that provide services to our users (collectively, “Network Partners”) to deliver the quotes, products or services your requested. PLEASE NOTE: the Network Partners with which you are matched may retain or use your Information whether or not you use their services. You should contact these Network Partners directly concerning their privacy and information sharing practices.
- Service Providers: We engage the following types of vendors to perform functions on our behalf such as: billing and collection providers; auditing and accounting firms; professional services consultants; providers of analytics services; security vendors; and IT vendors.
There are limited circumstances in which the service provider collects data directly from you when their privacy policies may also apply.
- Social Media Platforms: Where you choose to interact with us through social media, your interaction with these programs typically allows the social media company to collect some information about you through digital cookies they place on your device and other tracking mechanisms. In some cases, the social media company may recognize you through its digital cookies even when you do not interact with their application. Please visit the social media companies’ respective privacy policies to better understand their data collection practices and controls they make available to you.
- Trusted Marketing Partners – We reserve the right to share your data with our trusted 3rd party marketing partners. These partners may market to you via email or through other channels, products or services that might be of interest.
Other Situations: We may also disclose your Information as allowed by law:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, a request for cooperation from a law enforcement agency, self-regulatory body, or other governmental agency;
- To respond to any complaint;
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding actual or suspected illegal activity or other wrongdoing;
- In connection with a corporate transaction involving HealthCare.com or any HealthCare.com Affiliate, such as a sale of HealthCare.com or any entity, brand or division thereof, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, asset sale, or bankruptcy.
- In connection with state and/or federal licensing or other legal requirements. You authorize HealthCare.com to obtain any and all required information from the Network Partners you were matched with in order for HealthCare.com to comply with current laws and regulations as well as with any requests from state or federal regulators.
Additional Information About our Data Collection and Sharing Practices
Sharing of Aggregated Data: We may analyze aggregated, de-identified data and share these analyses at our discretion, including with marketing agencies, media agencies and analytics providers. These other companies will not be able to relate this data to identifiable individuals.
Combination of Information: We may combine information from the Services together and with other information we obtain from our business records.
Data Collected From You About Others: If you decide to invite others to the Site, we will collect your and the other person’s names, email addresses, and/or phone numbers in order to send an email or text message and follow up with the other person. You hereby agree that you will obtain the other person’s consent to this before giving us their contact information. You hereby agree not to send us the contact information of any legal minor. We will inform any other person you invite that you gave us his or her information in the invitation email.
Change of Ownership or Corporate Organization: We may transfer to another entity or its affiliates or service providers some or all information about you in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, acquisition, sale of assets or any line of business, change in ownership control, or financing transaction. We cannot promise that an acquiring party or the merged entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Policy.
Cross-border Transfer of Data: If you use our Services outside of the United States, you understand that we may collect, process, and store your information in the United States and other countries. The laws in the U.S. regarding information may be different from the laws of your state or country. Any such transfers will comply with safeguards as required by relevant law. By using the Services, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your data.
Our Practices Regarding Information Belonging to Children: We do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personally identifiable information from anyone under 13 years of age. If we determine upon collection that a user is under this age, we will not use or maintain his/her PII without the parent/guardian’s consent. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected PII from a child under the age of 13, we will make reasonable efforts to delete such information from our records.
Your Options and Rights
If at any time you do not wish to receive communications from HealthCare.com, you may opt out by following the instructions included in any communication received from us. In addition, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe or submit a Do Not Contact Inquiry at our online contact form. If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about our business dealings with you.
Your California Privacy Rights
Persons with disabilities may obtain this notice in alternative format upon request by contacting us at email@example.com
California Shine the Light: Residents of the State of California have the right to request information from us regarding other companies to whom the company has disclosed certain categories of information during the preceding year for the other companies’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
California Consumer Privacy Act: The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides California residents with rights to receive certain disclosures regarding the collection, use, and sharing of “Personal Information,” as well as rights to know/access, delete, and limit sharing of Personal Information. The CCPA defines “Personal Information” to mean “information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.” Certain information we collect may be exempt from the CCPA because it is considered public information (i.e., it is made available by a government entity) or covered by a specific federal privacy law, such as the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
To the extent that we collect Personal Information that is subject to the CCPA, that information, our practices, and your rights are described below.
Right to Notice at Collection Regarding the Categories of Personal Information Collected
You have the right to receive notice of the categories of Personal Information we collect, and the purposes for which those categories of Personal Information will be used. This notice should be provided at or before the time of collection. The categories we use to describe the information are those enumerated in the CCPA.
- We collect your name, phone number, email address, contact address and other identifiers when you provide that information to us. We use this information to provide the services, respond to your requests, and send information and advertisements to you.
- We collect medical information and health information that you provide, such as whether you use tobacco, are eligible for Medicaid, or qualify for medical subsidies. We use this information to provide targeted services and offers to you.
- We collect your IP address automatically when you use our Services. We use this information to identify you, gauge online activity on our website, measure the effectiveness of online services, applications, and tools, and to serve targeted advertisements based on your online activities.
- We collect your device identifiers automatically when you use our Services. We use this information to monitor your use, and the effectiveness of, our Services, to identify you, and to provide you with targeted information and offers.
- We collect personal identifiers of your spouse and dependents when you provide that information to us, in order to provide you with targeted services and offers.
- Protected Classifications: We collect your age and gender in order to provide you with targeted services and offers, and to comply with laws that restrict collection of personal information from minors. We collect your language preferences to facilitate our communications with you. We do not collect your race, ethnic origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Commercial Information: We collect information regarding your household size and income, for the purpose of targeting services and offers to you. We also collect information regarding any qualifying life event that may apply to your eligibility for particular health care services and benefits.
- Biometric Information: We do not collect information about your physiological, biological, and behavioral characteristics to identify you.
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information: We collect information about your browsing history, search history, information regarding your interaction with websites, and applications or advertisements automatically when you utilize our Services. We use this information to gauge online activity on our website, measure the effectiveness of online services, applications, and tools, and to serve targeted advertisements based on your online activities
- Geolocation Data: As described above, we collect your IP address and device identifiers automatically when you use our Services. We may be able to determine your general location based on the IP address.
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information: If you contact us via phone, we may record the call. We will notify you if a call is being recorded at the beginning of the call.
- Professional or employment-related information: We do not collect information about your employment or employment history.
- Education information: We do not collect information about the institutions you have attended and the level of education you have attained.
- Inferences drawn to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences or characteristics: We may analyze your actual or likely preferences through a series of computer processes. On some occasions, we may add our observations to your internal profile. We use this information to gauge and develop our marketing activities, measure the appeal and effectiveness of our Services, applications, and tools, and to provide you with targeted information, advertisements, and offers.
We may use any of the categories of information listed above for other business or operational purposes compatible with the context in which the Personal Information was collected.
We also sell some information to third parties. To opt out of the sale of your information visit our Do Not Sell My Information page or submit an inquiry at our contact form
Right to Know About Personal Information Collected, Disclosed, or Sold.
You have the right to request that we disclose to you the Personal Information we collect, use, disclose, or sell. In order to process your request to know/access your Personal Information or delete your Personal Information we may ask you to take additional steps to verify your request or identity. Verification Procedures
In order to process your request to know about or delete personal information we collect, disclose, or sell, we must verify your request. We do this by:
- Providing personal identifiers we can match against information we may have collected from you previously; and
- Asking you to confirm your request using the email or telephone account stated in the request.
If you have authorized someone else to make requests on your behalf, we require that you provide notarized statements confirming the identity and authority of that person.
Right to Know/Access Information
You have the right to request access to Personal Information collected about you and information regarding the source of that information, the purposes for which we collect it, and the third parties and service providers with whom we share it. To protect our customers’ Personal Information, we are required to verify your identify before we can act on your request.
Right to Request Deletion of Information
You have the right to request in certain circumstances that we delete any Personal Information that we have collected directly from you. To protect our customers’ Personal Information, we are required to verify your identify before we can act on your request. We may have a reason under the law why we do not have to comply with your request, or why we may comply with it in a more limited way than you anticipated. If we do, we will explain that to you in our response.
Right to Information Regarding Participation in Data Sharing for Financial Incentives
You have the right to be free from discrimination based on your exercise of your CCPA rights. For example: We may run promotions from time to time whereby we incentivize a consumer to share certain pieces of information with us; for example, we may offer a one-time discount if consumers sign up for our email marketing list. Participation in these incentives is voluntary, and you may opt out of the data sharing at any time.
Right to Opt Out of Sale of Personal Information to Third Parties
We sell information we collect to our Network Partners and other third parties, in order to provide you with targeted services and offers. A company may be considered a third party either because the purpose of sharing is not an enumerated business purpose under California law, or because our contract does not restrict them from using Personal Information for other purposes.
You have the right to opt out of any sale of your personal information to third parties. To exercise this right, please submit a request by using our CCPA form
Please note that your right to opt out does not apply to our sharing of personal information with service providers, who are parties we engage to perform a function on our behalf and are contractually obligated to use the personal information only for that function.
How to Submit a Request Under the CCPA
You may submit a request to exercise your rights through any one of these means:
- By filling out a Consumer Data Request Form available here.
- By sending an email to email@example.com
You may authorize another individual or a business registered with the California Secretary of State, called an authorized agent, to make requests on your behalf. We require that you and the individual complete notarized affidavits in order to verify the identity of the authorized agent and confirm that you have authorized them to act on your behalf. Parents of minor children may submit a birth certificate of the child in lieu of an affidavit, in order to make requests on the child’s behalf. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for our required forms of affidavits.
Changes to This Policy
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. We will post any changes, and such changes will become effective when they are posted. Your continued use of our Services following the posting of any changes will mean you accept those changes.
3401 N Miami Avenue, Suite 205
Miami, FL 33127